Published on: 08/01/2024
TAKING YOUR E-CIGARETTE ON THE ROAD: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW
More and more people use electronic cigarettes and vaping e-liquids on a daily basis and therefore need to always carry them with them .
For this reason, when the holiday period approaches, a question often arises: ” Can I take an electronic cigarette on a trip?”.
In this article we want to give you all the clarifications on the transport of personal vaporizers and electronic cigarette liquids by plane, talking about correct methods and destinations that allow its use after landing. We will also give you some practical advice to ensure you always have your e-cig well charged during your travels.Electronic cigarette on plane: rules and precautions to follow
Asking yourself whether it is possible to transport an electronic cigarette on a plane is a legitimate question, given that it is a device equipped with a battery and containing vaping e-liquids flavours , two sore points in flight departures.
We know that regulations regarding the carriage of liquids are strict across all airlines, and have been designed to maintain the safety of all passengers on board the aircraft.
Fortunately , the rules regarding e-cigarettes have also been studied in a very similar way , so you can take your beloved electronic cigarette with you on the plane, just by following a few simple precautions.
Let’s start with the suitcase:
- generally the electronic cigarette can only be transported in hand luggage and not in the hold;
- almost all airlines ask you to remove the batteries from the e-cigarette, to prevent it from being activated accidentally;
- you can usually only carry one more spare battery;
- all batteries must be individually wrapped (preferably in the original packaging), and should contain all information regarding brand, model and milliamps.
These precautions, if respected, allow the transport of the electronic cigarette on the plane without any of its components being detained at the airport.
However, keep in mind that it is absolutely forbidden to use an e-cigarette on a plane , as it is also forbidden to engage in its maintenance or recharging.
Some vapers think they can use their e-cigarette on the flight by going to the bathroom but remember that all toilets are also equipped with smoke and vapor detectors , so it only takes a moment to get caught. Among other things, failure to comply with these provisions on the plane exposes the vaper to stiff financial and criminal sanctions .
Therefore, by following some simple instructions, it is possible to take the electronic cigarette with you even when traveling by plane. Let’s now see what the rules are regarding vaping liquids .
Limits and restrictions for vaping liquids during air travel
As with all other liquids that each of us needs to take with us when travelling, e-cigarette liquids are also subject to the same limits and restrictions, designed to ensure optimal control of everything transported by plane.
The rules that must be respected in order to transport vaping liquids are mainly these:
- only bottles of liquids or vaping flavors less than or equal to 100 ml are allowed on the plane ;
- it is mandatory to store e-liquids flavours concentrates inside a transparent bag , with a size within 20 x 20 cm;
- the bag of liquids must be placed inside the hand luggage, in a convenient position to be taken out of the suitcase during airport checks.
Therefore, it is possible to bring vaping liquids with you but we advise you not to exceed the quantity, to close them well and to follow all airport regulations.
Why are there all these restrictions regarding the transportation of liquids by plane?
These standards have been adopted to prevent the risk that liquids may be used as explosives or as components of explosives. In fact, some substances can react with each other or with other materials to create a deflagration or detonation. By limiting the quantity and volume of liquids that can be transported, the possibility of creating explosive mixtures powerful enough to damage the aircraft or endanger passengers and crew is reduced.
However, there are some exceptions to these rules. For example, it is possible to bring on board liquids purchased in shops located beyond the security check , as long as they are sealed in a special bag with the receipt inside. Furthermore, it is possible to bring on board liquid medicines essential for the trip, upon presentation of a medical prescription or a declaration from the attending physician. Finally, it is possible to bring milk or baby food on board, as long as it is intended for consumption during the journey and is accompanied by the child himself.
These rules are valid for all flights departing from airports in the European Union , as well as from those in Norway, Iceland and Switzerland. They are also valid for flights arriving from these countries to places located outside the European borders. For flights departing or arriving from other countries it is advisable to check the regulations in force with the airlines or airport authorities.
By complying with these rules, you will help ensure the safety of flights and facilitate security checks.
Read about vaping abroad: find out what you need to know before you go
In addition to informing you precisely about the rules for transporting liquids and electronic cigarettes on planes, it is very important that you are perfectly aware of the legislation regarding the use of e-cigarettes in the country you are going to . In fact, each country has its own policies regarding vaping and by informing yourself first you will not risk arriving at your destination and discovering that you cannot use your e-cigarette.
Also keep in mind that the laws regarding vaping are constantly evolving , so we advise you not to trust ‘hearsay’ but to check the official rules shortly before leaving.
But here are some examples:
- Thailand: leave your e-cigarette at home! Thailand strictly prohibits the use of e-cigs and anyone found in possession of one or more vaping devices could be fined or, in the most serious cases, even imprisoned for up to 5 years.
- Norway: Only permitted with a doctor’s prescription. We recommend that you leave for Norway with a supply of fluids or other spare parts. In fact, here the purchase of vaping products is only allowed if you are in possession of a document in which a doctor certifies that you are using the e-cigarette to stop smoking.
- Japan: legal liquids, but only without liquid nicotine . In Japan it is possible to safely use the electronic cigarette and purchase replacement liquids and components. However, if you usually use e-cigarette liquids with nicotine , we recommend that you bring them from home because in this country only the sale of vaping liquids is allowed and not nicotine boosters .
These are just a few examples but, as you can see, vaping laws can change a lot from country to country.
So, if you want to take on a carefree holiday in the company of your e-cigarette, without the worry of being sanctioned, find out about the laws relating to vaping in force in the country you are going to visit , but only from reliable sources.
Practical tips for traveling with vaping liquids
- empty your e-cigarette before boarding. The e-cig tank, in fact, can undergo pressure variations during take-off and landing, and this can cause the loss of liquid. To avoid this inconvenience it is better to empty the tank before getting on the plane and fill it only when you arrive at your destination;
- Close the bottles of e-cigarette liquid tightly . Make sure the caps are screwed on tightly and that there are no cracks or gaps in the container. You can also wrap the bottles in a cloth or bag to further protect them from shocks or temperature variations;
- keep your liquids away from heat sources or sunlight . Heat and light can alter their chemical composition, reducing their quality and shelf life. For this reason, it is best to store liquids in a cool place away from direct sunlight, both before and after the flight.
Finally, keep in mind the fact that e-liquids cannot be used while in flight . For this reason, it is important to store vaping liquids correctly during your trip, following the rules and advice we have given you. This way you can enjoy your flight without worries and find your favorite liquids intact and ready to use when you arrive at your destination.
Solutions for recharging your e-cig on the go
Traveling by car and recharging the battery of your e-cig ? Possible, and just a few accessories are needed.
First of all, you will need a USB cigarette lighter adapter : using a USB cable, you can recharge your electronic cigarette while driving. Check the output amps (0.5A, 1A, 2A, 3A, etc.): charging with a 2 amp adapter could ruin the e-cig battery if the latter is not suitable to withstand this load.
Another solution is to use a power bank , an alternative to the cigarette lighter adapter. A latest generation power bank, light and powerful, can recharge the electronic cigarette quickly . Again, check the voltage before connecting your e-cig: if excessive and not tolerated by the device, it could damage it.
There are two solutions for recharging your electronic cigarette during a train journey: connecting it to one of the sockets installed on the carriages (including USB) or to a power bank . In the first case, it may be useful to have a USB travel charger, small and easy to carry. If you don’t trust train sockets and are afraid that your e-cig might get ruined, bring a power bank with you.
Also remember that on Italian trains (Italo, Trenitalia) it is not possible to vape due to company policies.
Let’s move on to the plane, immediately clarifying that you cannot recharge your e-cig on board. This is because the transport rules for electronic cigarettes , as seen, are very strict: according to the policies of most airlines, they can only be kept in hand luggage , with the battery detached and individually bagged; only one additional battery can be brought, also individually bagged.
As you might imagine, charging on board the plane is not possible . We recommend that you bring an e-cig with a removable battery that is sturdy enough to be transported on a flight. You’ll think about charging when you get off the plane: at the airport there are wall sockets, including USB ones, thanks to which you can charge your vaping device.
Traveling with an electronic cigarette on a plane is possible by following some rules and precautions .
Airlines generally require you to remove the batteries from the e-cig and carry them only in your hand luggage, along with any spare battery. Therefore, they must be individually wrapped and contain all the necessary information.
As regards vaping liquids , it is permitted to bring bottles of less than or equal to 100 ml and they must be placed in a transparent bag. It’s also important to check the vaping laws in your destination country, as they can vary greatly. During the trip, it is advisable to empty the e-cig tank, close the liquid bottles tightly and store them away from heat sources or sunlight.
There are practical solutions for traveling and recharging the electronic cigarette , such as using a USB cigarette lighter adapter or a power bank. However, charging on board the aircraft is not possible. By following these guidelines and respecting airport regulations , you will be able to travel safely with your electronic cigarette , enjoying the journey without worries and recharging the device once you arrive at your destination.
Now that you know everything about transporting an electronic cigarette on a plane, all you have to do is pack your suitcase and leave for a new adventure with your faithful e-cigarette and your favorite liquids .
On Terpy.shop you can purchase the vaping liquids you prefer in small formats, ideal for transporting on planes : 10 ml, 30 ml, or 60 ml. Browse the online catalog on Terpy today and buy the right liquid to flavor your next holiday!
- It is possible to bring the electronic cigarette when traveling by plane, but it is important to follow some rules and precautions. The electronic cigarette can only be transported in hand luggage and the batteries must be removed and bagged individually, preferably in the original packaging.
- During the flight, it is forbidden to use the electronic cigarette, as well as its maintenance or recharging. The toilets are equipped with smoke and steam detectors, so it is not recommended to use it even in the bathroom.
- E-cigarette liquids are subject to the limits and restrictions imposed for the transportation of liquids by plane. It is permitted to bring bottles of vaping liquids or flavors smaller than or equal to 100 ml, placed in a transparent bag with a maximum size of 20 x 20 cm.
- It’s important to check the vaping laws in your destination country, as they can vary greatly. For example, in some countries such as Thailand the use of e-cigarettes is prohibited and can result in severe fines or penalties.
- Before leaving, it is advisable to empty the tank of the electronic cigarette, close the bottles of liquid tightly and store them away from heat sources or sunlight. During travel, it is possible to recharge the electronic cigarette using a USB cigarette lighter adapter or a power bank, but charging on board the plane is not permitted.
Questions and answers
Can I take my e-cigarette when travelling?
Yes, you can take your e-cigarette on a trip. However, there are some rules and precautions to follow. Generally, the electronic cigarette can only be transported in hand luggage and not in the hold. It is recommended to remove the batteries from the electronic cigarette to avoid accidental activation. Additionally, you can usually only carry one more spare battery. Make sure to bag the batteries individually and consult the specific regulations of the airlines and the destination country.
What are the rules for transporting vape liquids on a plane?
E-cigarette liquids are subject to limits and restrictions during air travel. It is usually allowed to bring bottles of vape liquids or flavors less than or equal to 100 ml. It is mandatory to place liquids in a transparent bag with a maximum size of 20×20 cm, to be placed in hand luggage for airport checks. It is important to follow specific airline regulations and check the rules of the destination country for the correct transportation of vaping liquids.
What are the laws on vaping abroad?
Vaping laws may vary from country to country. It is essential to be informed about the official rules regarding the use of e-cigarettes in the destination country. For example, in Thailand the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited and there are penalties even for possession. In Norway, the purchase of vaping products is only allowed with a doctor’s prescription. In Japan, e-cigarettes can be used, but liquids containing nicotine are prohibited. It is advisable to check country-specific regulations from official sources before travelling.