Modified on: 16/05/2022
What is propylene glycol for vaping, what is the average price of this product and how is it used?
If you intend to dedicate yourself to making homemade vape liquids, you will certainly have heard of Propylene Glycol for electronic cigarettes, which is one of the main ingredients (along with vegetable glycerine) for the e-liquid base.
Yes, buying Propylene Glycol is one of the first steps to take if you want to stop using ready-made liquids and switch to self-production once and for all!
But the absolute first step is to inform yourself about it so that you can get to know this particular ingredient better and understand the perfect dosage for your needs.
So here you are, looking for information on Propylene Glycol, its price, and its nature.
So today we have decided to satisfy your curiosity and to allow you to become aware of this component of electronic cigarette liquids.
In about 2 minutes you will know everything, really everything, about the so-called PG!
Propylene Glycol (PG) for vaping: what is it?
Propylene Glycol (PG) is a chemical compound derived from the hydration of propylene oxide. It is an odourless, colourless liquid, and is widely used in industry as a preservative, humectant, solvent, or emollient.
For example, it is found in numerous pharmaceutical and para pharmaceutical products, cosmetics and detergents, and, since the birth of e-cigarettes, it has been one of the main ingredients of the base liquid for electronic cigarettes, i.e. the neutral base to which flavourings and liquid nicotine, if any, are added.
Specifically, the neutral base is an almost transparent solution composed of Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerine. The ratio between the two ingredients basically depends on the vaper’s needs and the characteristics of the two compounds.
Read also: Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine for electronic cigarettes: characteristics and functions
Characteristics of Propylene Glycol for electronic cigarettes – This is why it is used in e-liquids
PG is an excellent carrier of vape flavours (as well as being completely odourless and tasteless), so it is perfect if you want the best in flavours and fragrances for your vaping experience.
It is also much smoother than vegetable glycerine, also known as VG: the resistance cotton absorbs a liquid containing PG more quickly and with less difficulty.
Beware, however, of three particular characteristics of this compound:
- Often, especially during the first few vapes, it causes a certain irritation of the throat (not surprisingly, it is the essential product for those seeking a good dose of HIT, or the “hit in the throat”, similar to that of a traditional cigarette).
- Some people are allergic to this product.
- Although the FDA (Food and Drugs Administration) classifies it as a safe product, it is still a chemical compound. It is not bad for you, but you should use it in moderation.
Consequently, it is advisable not to overdo the doses of Propylene Glycol, particularly during your first vaping experiences!
Percentage of Propylene Glycol in vaping liquids: some indications
If you are going to buy PG and VG for your e-liquid base, you need to know the perfect ratio between the two ingredients, so that you can dose them without making any mistakes.
Let’s start with a somewhat obvious statement and then clarify a few things: the ratio of Propylene Glycol to Vegetable Glycerine depends on you and your vaping habits.
However, the usual ratios you might follow are as follows:
- VG/PG ratio of 50/50 if you have recently started vaping, if you have not yet started or if you adopt the so-called cheek shot.
- Lower proportions of Propylene Glycol than Vegetable Glycerine if you don’t like the sensation of HIT and/or if you like full-bodied liquids.
- Prevalence of Vegetable Glycerine, even with a VG/PG ratio of 70/30, if you prefer a lung shot and use electronic cigarettes adapted to this mode (therefore with a powerful battery, atomizer with very large holes etc.).
- Almost complete (or total) absence of Propylene Glycol if you are allergic to this substance or if you are into cloud chasing.
Liquids without Propylene Glycol are, however, extremely thick.
If you are not planning to use this ingredient but do not have a cloud chasing e-cigarette, we recommend diluting the vegetable glycerine – a very dense and viscous substance – with distilled water, so as not to overload the atomizer of your e-cig and to avoid inhaling too much vapour.
Read also: Vegetable glycerine vape: what it is and why its characteristics make it essential in e-cigs
What is the price of Propylene Glycol and where to buy this ingredient?
The average price of PG varies according to the quality of the ingredient and any quantity discounts: basically, 1 litre of Propylene Glycol is priced between 15 and 35 euros.
This particular chemical can be found almost everywhere, from online vaping shops to physical shops, pharmacies, and platforms such as Amazon.
However, we suggest you go for quality rather than savings because this is a product you’ll be inhaling (or already inhaling) on a daily basis!
Buy the best Propylene Glycol now in our online shop Terpy.shop.
We are waiting for you!